Located at 457-1, Hapjeong-dong, Mapo-gu, Mangwonjeong was built in the 7th year of King Sejong (1425). This pavilion was the cottage of Hyoryung-gun, the second son of Taejong. It was originally called Huiujeong. The origin of the name is as follows. After building the pavilion, King Sejong went to Mohwagwan(recepting building for envoys) and took a look at the farming situation of the people there. They were worried because it had not rained for a long time. Finally, rain came down. So King Sejong named the pavilion Huiujeong, meaning ‘a pavilion where a nice rain comes down.
After that, in 1484), Wolsan-gun, who conceded the throne to his younger brother, renovated the pavilion and named it Mangwonjeong. From this pavilion, Sanyu Peak rises to the south across the river, and in the north there is a Yeonheebul(Yeonhee plain)spreading straight, making the scenery very beautiful. King Sejong often visited the pavilion to watch military exercises that were held in Yeonheebul and invited envoys from the Ming dynasty to enjoy the scenery. It was restored in 1989 by the Seoul Metropolitan Government and designated and managed as the Seoul Metropolitan Monument No. 9, which was lost in the flood of 1925, and the Han River development project.